Gabon’s media regulator announced on Tuesday that social media platforms would be suspended “until further notice,” citing concerns that online content has fueled social unrest and deepened divisions in the central African nation. In a televised statement, the High Authority for Communication (HAC) outlined the decision, pointing to the “spread of false information,” “cyberbullying,” and the “unauthorised disclosure of personal data” as primary factors behind the unprecedented move.
HAC’s spokesperson, Jean-Claude Mendome, stressed that the measure was necessary to protect public order and prevent the digital space from becoming a source of instability.
While Mendome did not specify exactly which platforms would be affected, popular services including WhatsApp, Facebook, and TikTok are widely used in Gabon, particularly among younger people. The announcement immediately triggered concern among businesses, civil society, and ordinary citizens who rely on social media for communication, commerce, and civic engagement.
“Forget the speculations being peddled on social media that the platforms will remain fully accessible,” Mendome said. “We are taking this step to ensure that inappropriate and unlawful content does not escalate tensions in our society.”
The regulator highlighted that content circulating online has increasingly “undermined human dignity, social cohesion, the stability of the republic’s institutions, and national security.” Mendome further warned that the continued dissemination of such material was likely to “generate social conflict” and “seriously jeopardise national unity, democratic progress, and achievements.”
He emphasized that the decision was not intended to restrict freedom of expression, adding that “freedom of expression, including freedom of comment and criticism, remains a fundamental right enshrined in Gabon.”
Social media remains a vital tool in Gabon, a nation of approximately 2.5 million people, particularly for young people who use it for business promotion, personal communication, and civic participation. A restaurant owner in Libreville, speaking on condition of anonymity, described the potential impact on his business.
“Almost 40% of my customers decided to order or come to the restaurant after seeing our advertising on social media… I won’t be able to catch new customers, because clients are attracted by what they are seeing, reviews from friends, pictures,” he said.
“We are entering a phase where we don’t even know if we are moving forward with global development or if we are sliding backward into total underdevelopment.”
Not all citizens expressed concern over the suspension. A taxi driver in Libreville told the BBC, “There’s no smoke without fire. For the authorities to take such a decision, something must have certainly prompted it.”
This comment reflects the perspective of those who view the measure as a necessary step to restore order in the wake of mounting unrest across public sectors, including education, health, and civil service.
The announcement comes amid growing social unrest in Gabon. Teachers and other civil servants have staged strikes over pay disputes and poor working conditions, with protests spreading to other sectors. These strikes have disrupted daily life and highlighted dissatisfaction with government management of public services.
The role of social media in organizing and broadcasting these protests is believed to have prompted the regulator’s decision to consider a temporary suspension of online platforms.
President General Brice Oligui Nguema, who rose to power following a military coup in 2023 and won last year’s presidential election with over 90% of the vote, now faces increased scrutiny as his government navigates both political dissent and digital regulation.
Oligui Nguema, 50, had promised reforms aimed at modernizing Gabon’s governance structures, but social unrest and public protests suggest a challenging path ahead for his administration.
The decision to suspend social media echoes measures taken under previous governments in Gabon, which at times imposed digital blackouts to control information flow and limit dissent.
Experts note that this approach has often had mixed results, temporarily controlling misinformation but also sparking criticism over restrictions on free expression and transparency. “This is a delicate balance between security and individual freedoms,” said a political analyst in Libreville.
For the business community, social media serves as a lifeline for commerce, especially for small and medium-sized enterprises. The restaurant owner emphasized that online platforms are critical for marketing and client engagement.
“Without access to social media, our ability to reach new customers is severely limited,” he added, reflecting the potential economic impact of the suspension on private enterprise.
Youth in Gabon have also been disproportionately affected, as social media platforms are integral to social networking, education, and entrepreneurship. Many young Gabonese use platforms to develop online businesses, share content, and engage in civic discourse.
The temporary suspension, therefore, risks isolating a significant segment of the population from these essential activities, while simultaneously curbing the rapid spread of misinformation and potentially destabilizing content.
Mendome’s statement underscored that the regulator is targeting content that is “inappropriate, defamatory, hateful, and insulting” and that undermines the social fabric of Gabon. The HAC spokesperson cautioned that unchecked dissemination of such material could “seriously jeopardize national unity, democratic progress, and achievements.”
These remarks indicate the government’s view that social media has become both a vital communication tool and a potential risk to public order.
Despite the looming suspension, social media remained accessible in Gabon on Wednesday morning, though authorities signaled that a shutdown could occur imminently.
Observers noted that such uncertainty complicates both business operations and civic life, as users attempt to anticipate the regulator’s next moves. For many citizens, the mere announcement created anxiety about the future of online communication and the broader digital economy.
The suspension follows a period of heightened political tension in Gabon, where Oligui Nguema’s administration has had to contend with labor unrest and growing criticism over governance. Social media has played a central role in reporting strikes, mobilizing protests, and documenting public grievances, making regulation of online platforms a politically sensitive issue.
Mendome, while defending the decision, reiterated that the government recognizes the importance of freedom of expression and transparency. “Freedom of expression, including freedom of comment and criticism, remains a fundamental right enshrined in Gabon,” he said, seeking to assure the public that the measure is temporary and focused on maintaining national stability.
As Gabon navigates the tension between maintaining public order and protecting digital freedoms, the suspension of social media highlights the broader challenges faced by governments in the digital era.
Citizens, businesses, and civil society groups will be watching closely to see how authorities balance security concerns with the need for open communication in a country where social media has become deeply embedded in everyday life.
