Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has been confirmed safe following the military coup that toppled Guinea-Bissau’s government, the Federal Government of Nigeria announced on Thursday. Jonathan, who had been in the country leading an election observation mission, was evacuated shortly after soldiers declared they had seized power. His safety was confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, easing concerns about the wellbeing of foreign observers caught in the unrest.
The spokesperson for the Ministry, Kimiebi Ebienfa, told journalists in Abuja that Jonathan departed Guinea-Bissau aboard a special flight alongside members of his delegation, including former ECOWAS mediator Mohamed Chambas. According to Ebienfa, the government acted swiftly to ensure the former president and other officials under regional assignments were moved out of harm’s way as the political situation deteriorated.
Jonathan had been in the country to lead the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission, monitoring last Sunday’s presidential and legislative elections. His presence was part of a larger international effort involving the African Union (AU), ECOWAS, and other diplomatic groups tasked with observing the polls. The missions were still awaiting provisional results when the military intervened, claiming control over national institutions.
In a joint statement issued by Filipe Nyusi, Head of the African Union Election Observation Mission; Issifu Kamara, Head of the ECOWAS Observation Mission; and Jonathan himself, the observers condemned the coup in strong terms. They described the military takeover as a deliberate attempt to derail Guinea-Bissau’s democratic process and undermine citizens’ right to freely choose their leaders. The group also appealed for calm, urging residents to remain peaceful despite the tense atmosphere.
The AU and ECOWAS observers reiterated their commitment to supporting the country during what they called a “sensitive and uncertain period.” They emphasised the importance of preserving peace, stability, and the well-being of the Bissau-Guinean people, noting that the country’s fragile democratic gains must be protected from unconstitutional interventions. Their statement underscored growing concern from regional bodies familiar with the nation’s long history of political upheaval.
Nigeria’s Federal Government separately condemned the coup, warning that it represented a severe threat to democracy and regional stability in West Africa. In a statement released on Thursday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it learned of the development “with profound dismay and deep concern,” criticising the soldiers for imposing “an unconstitutional change of government” in violation of the ECOWAS Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance.
The government described the action as reckless and destabilising, adding that it undermined constitutional order not only in Guinea-Bissau but across the wider sub-region. According to the statement, the coup directly contravened ECOWAS principles, which explicitly reject any ascension to power through military force or unconstitutional means. Nigeria stressed that such actions weaken collective efforts to strengthen democratic governance in West Africa.
Nigeria further expressed firm solidarity with the people of Guinea-Bissau and called for the immediate and unconditional restoration of constitutional order. It demanded the safety and security of all detained persons and stressed the need to uphold the sanctity of democratic institutions in the country. The Ministry also urged Guinea-Bissau’s authorities to protect all foreign election observers still on assignment within the country.
“The Nigerian Government wishes to unequivocally call on the authorities to ensure the safety of every election observer still in Guinea-Bissau,” Ebienfa said, noting that the instability created significant risks for international personnel deployed for the elections. The call reflected growing concerns about the welfare of monitors who could not immediately leave after the coup was announced.
Calling for restraint, the Ministry appealed to all actors involved to remain peaceful and allow democratic processes to prevail. Nigeria urged political stakeholders to respect the will of the Bissau-Guinean people as expressed through the ballots cast and to permit electoral officials to conclude their responsibilities without interference. It also warned that those responsible for the coup would be held accountable for actions that could push the country toward deeper instability.
The government reaffirmed its determination to work with ECOWAS, the AU, and other regional partners to restore normalcy. It stressed its longstanding commitment to promoting peace, democracy, and stability across Africa, noting that cooperation among member states is essential in resisting unconstitutional changes of government. Nigeria said it would support all efforts required to ensure the swift return of constitutional governance in Guinea-Bissau.
The military seized control of the country on Wednesday, declaring that they now wield “total authority.” According to reports, they closed the country’s borders, suspended electoral activities, and blocked major access routes in the capital. Heavy gunfire was heard near the presidential palace, prompting widespread fear among residents. Soldiers later appeared on national media to announce that all branches of the armed forces were united behind the takeover.
General Denis N’Canha, head of the presidential military office, stated that the armed forces had formed a command to lead the country “until further notice.” His announcement came amid uncertainty over the whereabouts of key political leaders. In a phone interview with France24, incumbent President Umaro Sissoco Embalo said, “I have been deposed,” confirming the military’s effective takeover. Reports indicated he was inside a building near military headquarters with senior security officials at the time.
Both Embalo and opposition candidate Fernando Dias had earlier claimed victory in Sunday’s polls, heightening tensions in a country already grappling with political divisions. Provisional results were expected on Thursday before the coup interrupted the process entirely. The military alleged that it uncovered a plot involving “national drug lords” and the importation of weapons intended to alter the constitutional order, claims that could not be independently verified.
By Thursday afternoon, military authorities announced that Guinea-Bissau’s borders had been reopened. General Lansana Mansali, Inspector General of the Armed Forces, informed journalists that “all borders are now open,” easing some of the restrictions imposed during the initial takeover. Despite this announcement, uncertainty remained as curfews were in place and electoral activities remained suspended.
The coup adds to a long history of political instability in Guinea-Bissau, which has experienced four successful coups and several attempts since gaining independence. More than 6,700 security personnel, including members of the ECOWAS Stabilisation Force, had been deployed ahead of the elections in anticipation of unrest. The country, one of the poorest in the world, has struggled for decades with fragile institutions, contested elections, and allegations of drug-related criminal networks influencing politics.
Regional observers noted that the 2025 polls were already controversial, as the PAIGC party and its leader, Domingos Simoes Pereira, were excluded after the Supreme Court ruled their submissions were late. The opposition described the decision as political manipulation, adding to the tensions that preceded election day. Embalo had also been ruling by decree since dissolving the opposition-dominated legislature in 2023, and critics argued that his presidential term expired on February 27, further complicating the political landscape.
As the situation continues to develop, Nigeria and other regional bodies maintain that the priority is the restoration of constitutional order and the safety of citizens and foreign nationals. With Jonathan safely evacuated and regional leaders closely monitoring events, attention now shifts to diplomatic efforts aimed at stabilising Guinea-Bissau and ensuring that the will of the people is ultimately respected.
